Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lisa's Chocolate Cake


Yesterday was my last day at my work. I'm happy because I can concentrate on school now, but I'm sad because I'm going to miss the money and the people. This week I really had no time to do any cooking, plus we had leftovers after dinner quests on Tuesday. I really, really, really had cooking withdraws. It was crazy. I didn't make this cake this week, but I felt like I needed to post something. This cake is my brother's (and maybe dad's?) favorite chocolate cake. The recipe was given to us by a friend of my mother after she made this cake for me on my brother's birthday, some fifteen-odd years ago. While this cake is good, my goal is to someday make a chocolate bundt cake that taste the same but doesn't use all of the boxed mixes.

Ingredients:
1 Duncan Hines Deluxe Devil Food Cake Mix (be careful with substitutes–they will cook differently)
6 ounce chocolate pudding mix (just the dry mix–the box I use is a 5.7 oz box)
1 1/4 cups of water
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups of chocolate chips

Glaze:1 cup of chocolate chips
1/2 cup of whipping cream
1 handful of powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350. Mix water, oil, and eggs together. Add in cake and pudding mix until there are no lumps. Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan. Pour on 1 cup of chocolate chips, pour on the rest of the mix, and pour on another cup of chocolate chips. Lightly swirl with a spoon or spatula. Cook for 50-60 minutes.

Cool 35 minutes. Remove from pan and cool an additional 35 minutes; start on glaze. Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips with whipping cream in medium saucepan on low-medium heat, stirring steadily. Cool glaze for 5-10 minutes to thicken. Drizzle or spoon onto cake after cake has cooled for about an hour. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top if you want. Serves 16.


Nutritional Value per serving: 420 Cal, 21.4g Fat, 9.3g S Fat, 454mg Sod, 57.5g Carbs, 29g Sug, <3g Protein

~Enjoy!

No comments: