Sunday, September 9, 2007

Egg Muffins


I’m usually not brave enough to invent new recipes. I don’t feel that I have a complete grasp of foods and the science of cooking yet. I still consider myself a student, even though I am my own teacher. However, I take pride in these egg muffins I created! I’ve noticed that recipes for egg muffins, or mini-quiches, are becoming popular because they’re considered a good “to-go” food or one that can be frozen and re-heated later. While they are, and can be, that doesn’t mean you should rush to eat these. Please try the recipe as-is first, but then I highly encourage you to put your own twist on these. Just start with the base—an egg—and add whatever else you want to! What I like about these is they’re low in calories and fat, but certainly not in taste! If you’re looking to make the calories even less, they work well with egg whites only or with fake eggs, but they won’t look nearly as pretty or as big.
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 tbl crumbled feta cheese (I usually use reduced fat, but regular works fine, too)
1 tbl frozen corn
1 tbl corn and black bean salsa (I think this really adds to the flavor of the muffins because of the spices in the salsa. I use Ariba’s, but you can use whatever salsa you have on hand. If your salsa doesn't have any spices added, you might want to add a little onion and garlic powder)
1 piece cooked turkey bacon, crumbled (I use Butterball brand, because it crumbles easily)Optional: 1 mushroom, diced

Preheat the oven to 350° and grease muffin tins. Cook bacon until crisp. Whisk eggs and then add all the other ingredients. Stir and pour into muffin tins. Bake 24 minutes or until set.

Makes 2 servings.
Nutritional Value per serving: 105 Cal, 6.5g Fat, 2.5g Sat. Fat, 226mg Sod, 2g Carbs, 0g Sug, .5g Fiber, 7,7g Protein

Who doesn't love food that doesn't require a fork?


Yesterday I went to Macy's and got two table sets of Fiesta Ware--an orange and red (my favorite color!) They have these really awesome limited edition bowls, too, but they were only in purple and evergreen (not the colors my kitchen will be). What else is on my cooking wish list? A new spatula, a hand immersion blender mixer thing, and silicon muffin pans (because I hear whatever you cook doesn't stick as much to them). However, my last day at work is next Saturday, so I'll be income-less. And without an income, how can I outcome?

~Enjoy!

No comments: