Monday, September 3, 2007

Potato Salad

For Labor Day today we had the ultimate summer meal. A Texan meal. It's fitting, since I put in my two weeks notice at work today. I've worked at a Bar-B-Q place for over a year and have been around lots of brisket, beans, and potato salads. Tonight we had brisket from our local HEB (didn't even need ketchup, which means it's good!), Castleberry Beans (recipe to come tomorrow), corn on the cop, and potato salad. Now, being the health freak that I am, I hardly ever eat potato salad. However, everything in moderation! For dessert? What else do you have in the summer? (Actually, I can't decide between peaches or ice cream.)

Ingredients:
3 boiled eggs
3 tbl white vinegar
1 tbl oil (I used olive oil)
2 tbl mustard
1 tbl Dijon mustard
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 lb red new potatoes (was 8 for me)
2 tbl pickle relish
Seasoning salt
Pepper

Poke and wash the potatoes. Place in a pot full of water and boil for about 10 minutes, or until soft all the way through. Drain and let cool a little. Place the eggs through onion in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Cut the potatoes into desired size (mom likes chunks, I like mush) and place in a serving bowl. Add the mustard mixture and pickle relish. Season with pepper and seasoning salt until desired taste (I probably used 2 teaspoons of seasoning salt). Cool until ready to serve. Serves 8.

Nutritional Value per serving (minus Sodium, because it's different each time!): 175 Cal, 5g Fat, 1.4g Sat Fat, 22.6g Carb, 5g Sugar, 2.5g Fiber, 5.8g Protein


~Enjoy!



No comments: