Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Coleslaw


I love coleslaw. There's something about mayonnaise and crunchy cabbage that delights my mouth. As a Texan, I've experienced many types of coleslaw. "Regular" is usually made with mayonnaise and "German" is usually made with a sugar/vinegar dressing. Fresh coleslaw is, of course, the best. Something about coleslaw swimming in mayonnaise grosses me out a little!! My dilemma with coleslaw was how to make it healthy--mayonnaise isn't that great for you, after all. I found a recipe on Kalyn's Kitchen (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/) (a blog that I love, by the way) which I adapted a little to my preferences. My mom now says I've spoiled her with good coleslaw and never buys the package that has a dressing in it (which contains high-fructose-corn-syrup!)

Ingredients:
1 package of tri-colored coleslaw (about 8 cups)
1/4 cup of low fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup of fat-free milk (or low-fat)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1-2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons of Splenda (about 8 small packets, or sweeten to taste)

Simply whisk together all the ingredients and then add the coleslaw mix! I prefer this fresh but you could always refrigerate it for awhile before serving. My favorite thing to do with the leftovers the next day is take a big leaf of lettuce, layer turkey and cheese, and top with the coleslaw. Roll it all up and eat like a wrap--but without the bread!

Makes 6 servings
Nutritional value per serving: 57.5 Cal, 3.33g Fat, .33g S.Fat, 252.7mg Sod, 7g Carb, <5g>
~Enjoy!

No comments: